leftround   rightround
logo   James Laboratory
spacer

CSHL 

Library & Archives

Buildings Timeline
spacer
spacer


1970 James Needs a Second Expansion

The decision by then-new director, Dr. James Watson, to initiate a major effort to research cancer causing viruses at CSHL led to the next expansion at James Laboratory. By 1969 the top floor of James had become a teaching laboratory for the cell culture and animal viruses courses. When Joseph Sambrook and other prominent tumor virologists were hired, a new era of tumor virus research was launched with James Laboratory at its center. Providing additional study and administrative space was the next task. A fortuitous meeting with John Davenport (no relation to Charles Davenport, Bio Lab Director beginning in 1898), a retired Pfizer executive who had promoted tumor virus research at Pfizer, resulted in his gift of $100,000. It was used to start an addition to the south side of the original concrete building.

spacer

James Laboratory
Gallery

1929Dr. Walter
B. James
1929James
Memorial
Laboratory
1929Hugo
Fricke's
Lab
1961Second
Floor
Added
1961First
Addition
Complete
1970Second
Expansion
Begins
1971James
Laboratory
Annex
1985Sambrook
Laboratory
1985Sambrook
Dedication
Booklet
2006Laboratory
Complex
Illustration
spacer

Copyright © 2006 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. All rights reserved.
CSHL Library and Archives, 1 Bungtown Rd., Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Library Information 516-367-6872
spacer
spacer