Charles B. Davenport was a Harvard-trained zoologist who
served as the director of the Biological Laboratory from 1898-1924. Davenport worked very hard to ensure the proper
functioning of the Biological Laboratory to the satisfaction of the Wawepex Society from which the property was
leased. In 1903 the Wawepex Society bequeathed the Mather House to the Bio Lab and Director Davenport and his family
made it their home. Davenport used the Mather House as a place to entertain visiting scientists.