A fire burnt the Jones homestead down in 1861.
In 1884, to replace the homestead and also provide a house for the
Fish Hatchery director Frederic Mather, a building was constructed where Davenport House stands today. Cold Spring
Harbor and other surrounding seaside towns are featured in this sketch done in 1885 by the commercial artist Edward
Lange. Mather (now Davenport) House occupies the extreme left of the middle panel of this sketch.