leftround   rightround
logo   Blackford Hall
spacer

CSHL 

Library & Archives

Buildings Timeline
spacer
spacer


1990 Blackford Hall Expansion Begins

A major expansion of Blackford Hall began at the end of the CSHL centennial year. The Lab had come a very long way from its 1890 inaugural year which hosted a total of 15 students and teachers. With as many as 400 participants at the large meetings held during the 1980s, lunch lines at Blackford Hall could be seen winding through the Dining Room and out across Bungtown Road. The two-story $3.5 million expansion added dining rooms to the rear of the building on the ground level and first floor, each with an outdoor deck overlooking the Harbor. Other enhancements included an enlarged kitchen wing and recreation room built in the new sub-basement and a bar on the ground level.

spacer

Blackford Hall
Gallery

1907Blackford
Beginnings
1907Structural
Elements
1907Assembly
Room
1930sFirst
Symposium
1940sSymposium
Meeting
1973Winterization
1990Major
Expansion
1992Expansion
Complete
2005Summertime
spacer

Copyright © 2006 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. All rights reserved.
CSHL Library and Archives, 1 Bungtown Rd., Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Library Information 516-367-6872
spacer
spacer