leftround   rightround
logo   Demerec Laboratory
spacer

CSHL 

Library & Archives

Buildings Timeline
spacer
spacer


Construction of Demerec Laboratory Begins 1951

In 1946, in response to changes in genetics research after the war, Dr. Demerec and his staff wrote a 68-page proposal called, Outline of a Proposed Program of Research for the Department of Genetics. With only two Carnegie Institution laboratories, the Main Building (Carnegie) and Animal House (McClintock Lab), there was insufficient space for the ambitious array of research projects described in the report. A new building was then proposed and in 1951, with the help of funds raised through the sale of the Eugenics Record Office buildings and land, ground was broken for the construction of a new laboratory complex.

spacer

Demerec Laboratory
Gallery

1941Milislav
Demerec
1951Construction
Begins
1952Construction
Continues
1953Demerec
Complete
1953First
Occupants
1963Institutions
Merge
1963John
Cairns
196631st
Symposium
1970sScientists
1981South
Addition
1989North
Addition
2013Demerec
Lab today
spacer

Copyright © 2006 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. All rights reserved.
CSHL Library and Archives, 1 Bungtown Rd., Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Library Information 516-367-6872
spacer
spacer