Biophysics Comes to the Biological Laboratory

Under the direction of Reginald Harris, work at the Biological Laboratory was expanded in 1928 to include research in Biophysics. This began the integration of other scientific disciplines into biological research at the Lab and the transition to a year-round research institute. Dr. Hugo Fricke, an accomplished biophysicist, was appointed as the Lab’s first full-time investigator to study the effects of X-rays on living cells in the newly built James Laboratory.

 

For more information about Hugo Fricke, see his personal collection at: http://library.cshl.edu/personal-collections/hugo-fricke

 

Hugo Fricke, Biophysicist, 1929

 


Hugo Fricke's X-Ray tube in James Laboratory